Litigation & Bankruptcy
Applied Economics is regularly engaged to provide attorneys and their clients with valuable insights and to assist in quantifying and understanding economic and business issues throughout the course of a litigation engagement. Applied Economics has provided attorneys and clients with assistance as a consultant, an expert witness, and a business valuator and has provided neutral services as a court-appointed expert.
We understand the importance of clear, concise, understandable and impartial communications and advice in a litigation setting involving financial analysis and economic damages. Our reports, written or oral, address issues in a way that a judge or other user can easily comprehend. This is vital when engaged in a litigation dispute.
According to the IRS and Tax Court, “quality” is often judged by the experience and credentials of the individuals providing the service. Applied Economics has prepared business valuation analyses in business litigation, domestic litigation support including valuation of business interests, lost profit and economic damage analyses and dispute resolution, including arbitration and mediation. Our senior professionals are credentialed in major valuation organizations including Accredited Senior Appraisers with the American Society of Appraisers.
Litigation Support Relevant Experience
Examples of our litigation support engagements include:
- Valued a national real estate brokerage franchise and provided expert witness testimony in conjunction with a petition for reorganization under Chapter 11 in the U.S. Bankruptcy Court
- Provided expert witness testimony related to the valuation of employee stock options and associated damages in conjunction with a Department of Labor administrative proceeding in U.S. District Court
- Valued a chain of fast-casual Italian restaurants and provided expert witness testimony in conjunction with a shareholder suit
- Valued a multi-branch bank holding company and provided expert witness testimony in conjunction with a dissenting shareholder suit
- Provided expert witness testimony regarding the calculation of damages incurred by a client in connection with a condemnation suit against the City of Atlanta
- Prepared a lost profits and damages analysis for a national quick-service restaurant franchisor client in connection with a franchisee suit
- Prepared a lost profits and damages analysis and provided expert witness testimony in conjunction with a suit involving a school bus manufacturer and its distributor