Stark Law, Anti-Kickback Statute, Corporate Practice of Medicine, Commercial Reasonableness – these are the types of legal and regulatory concepts which we address in all of our fair market value (FMV) opinions for healthcare entities and physician compensation arrangements. Valuing healthcare entities requires significant industry experience and knowledge of healthcare valuation theory. At Applied Economics, we understand the changes the healthcare industry is facing and can bring the experience and depth of knowledge needed to provide accurate and dependable fair market value analyses and opinions.
Applied Economics provides a full spectrum of healthcare valuation services to a variety of healthcare facilities, organizations and providers, including:
- Ambulatory Surgical Centers
- Multi-Hospital Systems
- Rehabilitation Centers
- Physician Practices
- Diagnostic Imaging Centers
- Radiation Oncology Centers
- Specialty & Acute Care Hospitals
- Home Health Agencies
- Hospice Care Facilities
Applied Economics is regularly engaged to provide valuations for healthcare related intangible assets and Certificates of Need (CON). Additionally, we are equipped to perform detailed physician compensation valuations arising from service arrangements with hospitals and health systems.
We understand the potential regulatory challenges to consider, such as concerns involving the Anti-Kickback Statute and Physician Self-Referral Law (Stark Laws); as well as, case law and advisory opinions arising with the Internal Revenue Service and Office of Inspector General.
With our extensive experience and proven track record, Applied Economics is prepared to help clients navigate the ever changing healthcare landscape. Whether you are a small physician practice facing the daunting regulatory obstacles, or a hospital looking to acquire a multi-specialty physician group, Applied Economics has the tools, expertise, and resources to ensure a successful engagement.
Healthcare Advisory Relevant Experience
Recent examples of our healthcare advisory engagements include:
- Provided over fifty (50) FMV opinions of various physician compensation arrangements for a large health system in Florida.
- Provided fair market value opinion of fees paid under a management services agreement to private-equity backed anesthesia practice management company in New York
- Provided solvency opinion in connection with leveraged dividend recapitalization to private-equity backed company providing dialysis services in Tennessee
- Provided fairness opinion to board of directors of a non-profit acute care hospital in connection with distressed sale to for-profit buyer in South Carolina
- Provided fairness opinion for use by North Carolina state attorney general in connection with sale of non-profit hospital
- Provided fair market value opinion of physician compensation and acquired assets, both tangible and intangible, in connection with acquisition and employment of 10-physician cardiology group by acute care hospital in Florida
- Provided fair market value opinion of distressed acute care hospital in Georgia in connection with foreclosure proceedings
- Valued intangible assets and personal goodwill of certain physicians of a 14-physician cardiology practice in conjunction with the sale of the practice to a major healthcare system
- Valued operating assets and intangible assets of a hospital based transitional care skilled nursing facility in conjunction with the sale of the unit by the hospital authority to a private SNF operator
- Valued the equity of a an operator of ambulatory laparoscopic surgery centers in connection with the granting of stock options pursuant to IRC 409A
- Provided multiple fair market value opinions for services and commercial agreements for the largest health care system in Georgia
- Valued a pharmaceutical anticoagulant compound for a clinical-stage pharmaceutical company for tax purposes